- What is this place, the deep? It is the prison of the demons, millions of demons. John, in the book of Revelations, says: “The fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star from the sky which had fallen to the earth. The key to the pit of the abyss was given to him. He opened the pit of the abyss, and smoke went up out of the pit, like the smoke from a burning furnace. The sun and the air were darkened because of the smoke from the pit. Then out of the smoke came forth locusts on the earth, and power was given to them, as the scorpions of the earth have power” (Rev. 9:1-3). The smoke of the burning furnace shows that the deep, or the pit of the abyss, the bottomless pit (KJV), is the place of torment. The locusts are figures of the tormented demons in the smoking furnace of the deep, which, when they come out filled with hatred, are going to torment those men who do not have the mark of God in their foreheads; and their torment is similar to the torment of the scorpion when it strikes a person (Rev. 9:7-10). And they had a king over them, the angel of the deep. In Hebrew his name was Abaddon, and in Greek, Apollyon (Rev. 9:11). Abaddon, which means, destroyer, is transliterated in Revelations to appoint the devil.
- The deep is a black pit full of smoke and the place from which comes a scarlet beast that has seven heads and ten horns, on whose back rides a harlot adorned with gold and precious stones, having in her hand a chalice of gold filled with the abominations and the filth of her prostitution. On her forehead was written a name, Mystery, the great Babylon, the mother of the prostitutions of the earth. And the woman was drunk with the blood of the saints and the blood of the witnesses of Jesus (Rev. 17:1-8). This beast is that which kills the two witnesses of Jesus, in Rev. 11:1-7.
- The deep is the prison into which Satan will be cast for a thousand years. The text says that an angel came down from heaven with the key to the deep and locked the dragon, the old serpent, which is the devil and Satan, and locked him for a thousand years (Rev. 20:1-3). After the thousand years have passed Satan will be released from his prison, and he will come out to deceive the nations that are in the four corners of the earth, and will take them into battle against the saints (Rev. 20:7-10).
- The apostle Paul reveals that the angels that sinned were thrown into hell, in fetters of darkness, being reserved for judgment (2 Pet. 2:4). But what does hell have to do with the deep? The prophet Isaiah reveals us that hell is the deepest part of the deep: “Your pomp is brought down to Sheol, with the sound of your stringed instruments. Maggots are spread out under you, and worms cover you. How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, who laid the nations low! You said in your heart, ‘I will ascend into heaven! I will exalt my throne above the stars of God! I will sit on the mountain of assembly, in the far north! I will ascend above the heights of the clouds! I will make myself like the Most High!’ Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol, to the depths of the pit” (Is. 14:11-15).
- 5. As we have seen, this world, rather, the earth, in which we live, is a dark and formless deep (Gen. 1:2). The one who formed it was Jehovah (Ps. 104:5-6; Prov. 8:26-29). This earth is a round cemetery, for Jesus came down to the pit of the dead to deliver them from the power of death and from the condemnation (Rom. 10:6-7). And Jehovah is the author of this paraphernalia, for he is the author of all the paths that lead to death. The plagues of Jehovah lead to death; the pestilences of Jehovah lead to death; the curses of Jehovah lead to death; the wars of Jehovah, man of war and Lord of the armies, and the law of Jehovah lead to death (Ezek. 18:20). And finally, the wrath of Jehovah leads to death (Deut. 32:22-25).
While Jehovah and his angels were busy killing and destroying men for 4,000 years, the Father of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ worked to build a celestial kingdom, a heavenly city outside of the deep, a home for those who believe in Christ. The Father, the Son and the Holy spirit worked in the project of grace (Titus 2:11; 2 Cor. 8:9, 5:18-21; John 14:1-4; Phil. 3:20-21; 2 Tim. 4:18; 1 Pet. 1:3-4). And even Abraham knew about this (Heb. 11:8-10). And the Father works even now (John 5:17).
There are believers and Theologians who, in order to make the blind to stumble, ask: What was God doing while Jehovah was up to mischief?
By Pastor Olavo Silveira Pereira