“You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature; for he is a liar, and the father of lies.” John 8:44
What are these lies of the devil, spoken from the beginning? He said that men would not die in the day in which they ate of the tree of the science of good and evil. Adam, sent out from the Garden of Eden, lived 930 years (Gen.5:5). The devil did not lie here. Jehovah God had said that on the day in which they ate, they would die (Gen. 2:17). The devil promised that they would be as God, knowing good and evil (Gen. 3:5). Jehovah confirmed this promise of the devil, saying: “Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil” (Gen. 3:22). Here also the serpent (devil) didn’t lie.
Jesus also said that the devil was a homicide, but identifying him as the father of lies isn’t easy.
The New Testament affirms that God cannot lie (Titus 1:2). If God lied just one only time, He Himself, then, would be the father of lies, for God existed before the devil, and would be a liar before him. Jehovah is God, so it follows that he cannot lie. If Jehovah lies but one single time, he is the father of lies, for the devil is but a creature of the God Jehovah. “Now, the serpent was more crafty than the beast of the field which the Lord God had made” (Gen.3:1). Jehovah was its creator.
I there’s one single lie of Jehovah in the Bible, either God is the father of lies, or Jehovah is not God the Father. Let us go through the pages of the Old Testament:
1. Jehovah loved Solomon from birth. “Then David comforted his wife Bathsheba, and went in to her and lay with her; and she gave birth to a son, and he named him Solomon. NOW JEHOVAH LOVED HIM” (2 Sam.12:24). Jehovah changed his name. “Behold, a son shall be born to you, who shall be a man of rest; AND I WILL GIVE HIM REST FROM ALL HIS ENEMIES ON EVERY SIDE; for his name shall be Solomon, and I will give him peace and quiet to Israel in his days (1 Cr. 22:9). This promise of peace made to Israel was not dependant on Solomon’s behavior. Nevertheless, Solomon sinned and the kingdom of Israel didn’t enjoy the promised peace. “Then Jehovah raised up an adversary to Solomon, Hadad the Edomite; he was of the royal line in Edom” (1 Kings 11:14).
“God also raised up another adversary to him, Rezon the son of Eliada, who had fled from his lord Hadadezer king of Zobah. And he gathered men to himself and became leader of a marauding band, after David slew them of Zobah; and they went to Damascus and stayed there, and reigned in Damascus. SO HE WAS AN ADVERSARY TO ISRAEL ALL THE DAYS OF SOLOMON, ALONG WITH THE EVIL THAT HADAD DID; AND HE ABHORRED ISRAEL AND REIGNED OVER SYRIA” (1 Kings 11:23-25). Jehovah said that Israel was going to have peace, and he himself raised adversaries against Israel. THEREFORE, HE LIED.
2. According to the narrative of the New Testament, all men were spiritually dead. “For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ” (Rom. 5:17). Jesus confirms this truth: “And another of the disciples said to Him, ‘Lord, permit me first to go and bury my Father.’ But Jesus said to him, ‘Follow Me; and allow the dead to bury their own dead.’ (Matt. 8:21-22). “And when you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions” (Col. 2:13). “Truly, truly I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life” (John 5:24). If all men were spiritually dead in their souls since Adam, men did not need to sin in order to die, because they were already dead. But Jehovah said: “BEHOLD, ALL SOULS ARE MINE; THE SOUL OF THE FATHER AS WELL AS THE SOUL OF THE SON IS MINE, THE SOUL WHO SINS WILL DIE” (Ezek. 18:4). With these words Jehovah was declaring that the souls were alive, dying only after they had sinned. He lied, then, for all souls were dead, according to the four texts of the New Testament (Rom.5:12).
3. Jehovah declares Himself to be the ALMIGHTY (El Shadai) and says: “Even from eternity I am He; And there is none who can deliver out of My hand; I act and who can reverse it?” (Is. 43:13). “For the Lord of Hosts has planned, and who can frustrate it? And as for His stretched-out hand, who can turn it back?” (Is. 14:27). “See now that I, I am He, and there is no god besides Me; It is I who put to death and give life, I have wounded, and it is I who heal; And there is no one who can deliver from My hand” (Deut. 32:39). Paul the Apostle reveals that someone subjected and corrupted the whole creation: “For the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now” (Rom. 8:20-22). If all creation was submitted to the oppressor, and within it Jehovah claims to have so much power, Jehovah is either submitted to his oppressor, or he is lying. Apparently, the one who DOES has more power than the one who SAYS, and proclaims what he cannot do.
4. In the Law of Jehovah, we read: “Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for their own sin” (Deut. 24:16). In the Ten Commandments, though, we read: “…for I, Jehovah your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me” (Ex. 20:5). But Jehovah also killed David’s newborn son because of adultery. “Then Jehovah struck the child that Uriah’s widow bore to David” (2 Sam. 12:15,19). This is to prove that Jehovah God lies, so, he must be the father of lies.
5. About showing partiality: “For Jehovah your God is the God of Gods and the Lord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God who does not show partiality” (Deut. 10:17). “Moreover, there shall be a great cry in all the land of Egypt, such as there has not been before and such as shall never be again. But against any of the sons of Israel a dog shall not even bark, whether against man or beast, that YOU MAY UNDERSTAND HOW JEHOVAH MAKES A DISTINCTION BETWEEN EGYPT AND ISRAEL” (Ex. 11:6,7). Jehovah, then, shows partiality, and when he says that he doesn’t, he lies. Jehovah was partial to men, for women were considered inferior to them, not even being allowed to make vows to God (Num. 30:1-8). When a woman gave birth to a boy, she was unclean for 40 days, but if a girl was born, she was unclean for 80 days (Lv. 12:1-8). Jehovah is the God of partiality, and he lies when he says that he isn’t.
6. Jehovah commanded Moses about the sacrifices and burnt offerings. “You shall make an altar of earth to Me, and you shall sacrifice on it your burnt offerings, your sheep and your oxen; in every place where I cause My name to be remembered, I will come to you and bless you” (Ex. 20:24). And after that he says that he didn’t give that order. “Thus says Jehovah of hosts, the God of Israel, ‘Add your burnt offerings to your sacrifices and eat flesh. FOR I DID NOT SPEAK TO YOUR FATHERS, OR COMMAND THEM IN THE DAY THAT I BROUGHT THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT, CONCERNING BURNT OFFERINGS AND SACRIFICES” (Jer. 7:21-22). Jehovah lied again.
7. Jehovah assured Abraham that he wouldn’t destroy the righteous together with the unrighteous, and also that, if there were 10 righteous persons in Sodom, he would spare the entire city for the love of them (Gen. 18:24-26) and 18:32). But the prophet Ezekiel, speaking for Jehovah, declares that the just and the unjust would be both destroyed. He lied for the seventh time (Ezek. 21:1-4). There are many other lies with which Jehovah lied; but these are enough.
If Jehovah lies so much, than everything he says about himself is also a lie. He deceives when he calls himself the creator; deceives when he affirms to be a savior; and whoever believes in his lies, makes himself a son of lies (John 8:44).
Jesus Christ and his Father are the only truth there is. “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me” (John 14:6).
By Pastor Olavo Silveira Pereira