“For Jehovah of hosts has planned, and who can frustrate it? And as for His stretched-out hand, who can turn it back?” (Is.14:27)
Jehovah was thereby making a statement that there is no other power active on the planet Earth. He makes another declaration by the mouth of Moses: “See now that I, I am He, and there is no god besides Me; it is I who put to death and give life; I have wounded and it is I who heal; and there is no one who can deliver from My hand (Deut.32:39). Jehovah god was saying that the works of evil spirits, demons, and fallen angels in this dark world, were possible only under his orders, and for this reason he said, “The One forming light and creating darkness, causing well-being and creating calamity; I am Jehovah who does all these” (Is.45:7). Let us analyze his works:
1. Jehovah wounds and heals (Hos.6:1). “For He inflicts pain and gives relief; He wounds and His hands also heal” (Job 5:18). This proves that Satan does not cause the wounds or the sores in any one. The author of those is Jehovah himself.
2. Jehovah sends the deadly plagues, and removes them. The spies sent to Canaan, who returned and defamed the land, died of a plague that Jehovah sent (Num.13:1-8; 13:32-33: 14:37). When we read about the rebellion of Korah, Dathan and Abiram, in Num.16:1-3, besides those families going down alive to their sepulcher, and 250 men that followed the three rebels, dying also, Jehovah sent a plague that killed 14,700 Israelites (Num.16:29-35; 16:49-50). This proves that Satan does not send deadly plagues, neither has power to remove them. It all comes from Jehovah. And if Satan had power over these things, Jehovah was part of the same team.
3. Jehovah devastates and kills by means of deadly and destructive plagues. In the first book of the Chronicles of Israel, when David numbered the people incited by Jehovah himself, Jehovah sent a horrible plague that killed 70.000 men of Israel, his beloved people. The worst thing is that, when we read about the tragedy, we see how the plague was the sword of Jehovah, that is—the plague is the favorite weapon of Jehovah (1 Chr.21:12-14). This is why the prophet Habakkuk revels that pestilences go before Jehovah wherever he goes (Hab.3:5). We give some supplementary texts: Lev.26:25; Deut.32:24; Ps.106:29-30; Is.14:11; Jer.24:10; 27:8. The prophets of Jehovah prophesied to the kingdoms of this world, war, evil and pestilence (Jer.28:8). There are dozens of other texts. You cannot find it written anywhere that Satan sends deadly pestilences. He does not have power over these things, for everything comes from Jehovah.
4. The curses – The cursed is the unloved, the hated, the despised and the condemned. A curse is the act of speaking evil plagues against the hated person. We should expect that the devil, or Satan, the odious, would send curses, and that Jehovah god would annul them, since he was contrary to Satan, but this is not the case. Every curse in the Old Testament comes from the mouth of Jehovah. “…if you will not obey Jehovah your God, to observe to do all His commandments and His statutes with which I charge you today, that all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you. Cursed shall you be in the city, and cursed shall you be in the country. Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl. Cursed shall be the offspring of your body and the produce of your ground, the increase of your herd and the young of your flock. Cursed shall you be when you come in, and cursed shall you be when you go out. Jehovah will send upon you curses, confusion, and rebuke, in all you undertake to do, until you are destroyed and until you perish quickly…” (Deut.28:15-20). “The curse of Jehovah is on the house of the wicked, but He blesses the dwelling of the righteous” (Prov.3:33). The devil does not send curses upon anyone, and does not have power over these things. Jehovah alone has the power to cast these terrible curses described in the Old Testament, which is the covenant of death and condemnation (2 Cor.3:6-9). No one should blame the devil for the plagues that he suffers.
5. The evils of this world – This world is infested by evils. Evil is in everything: in the businesses, in the politics, in societies, schools, cities, and the country. They are the alcohol, smoking, drugs, prostitution, crime, thefts, lies, betrayals, coveting, envying, madness, psychosis, schizophrenia, paranoia, etc. Who may be the author of all these evils? The devil? Jehovah calls himself the author of evil and of evils. “The One forming light and creating darkness” (Is.45:7). Jehovah himself pronounces evil against a kingdom or a person (Jer.11:17). Jehovah sets himself against in order to do evil, not good. “‘Behold, I am watching over them for harm and not for good” (Jer.44:27). “For I have set My face against this city for harm and not for good,’ declares Jehovah” (Jer.21:10). These declarations of Jehovah are totally contrary to John 3:16 and 1 Tim.2:3-4, which speak of the saving love of the Father. InAmos 3:6 we read, “If a calamity occurs in a city has not Jehovah done it?” It is obvious that there are evils in a city that are caused by men, evils that are caused by demons, and evils caused by the devil himself. But Jehovah in this text assumes the authorship of all evils, that is, his evils, the demons’ evils and the evils of perverse men, and those of Satan. Jehovah, the god who knows how to create evil, takes to himself any kind of evil—the deaths and murders of large cities, the rapes, the robberies, the disloyalties, everything evil and destructive.
6. The Father of Jesus Christ shows a different characteristic, opposed to that of Jehovah. “Every good thing bestowed and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights, with whom there is no variation, or shifting shadow” (James 1:17). This means that every good work, every goodness, every good alms of charity done in this dark world, reveals the existence of the Father, and the Father takes to himself the authorship of all the good deeds that a person may do, even though they may not know Jesus Christ. So, even a glass of water given to a Christian will have his retribution in eternity (Matt.10:42). The evil which Satan inflicted on Job was approved by Jehovah, so Job declares that El Shaddai was the author of it — “For the arrows of the Almighty are within me; their poison my spirit drinks; the terrors of God are arrayed against me” (Job.6:4).
By Pastor Olavo Silveira Pereira